Wednesday, November 16, 2005

'People Say I'm Indecisive, But I Don't Know About That:' Choosing Business Blog Tools

Former presidential wisdom is helpful in making the hard choice about which business blog platform to use...


The title of this post is a quote ascribed to former president George H. W. Bush who said, "People say I'm indecisive, but I don't know about that."

That sounds strangely like my decision making process relating to starting this blog.

I waited around for about three months longer than I should have to start RSS Pundit over indecision about which blogging tool to use. I learned in that experience the words of former president Gerald R. Ford (you'll have to scroll down a bit...) to be quite true. He said, "Indecision is often worse than wrong action." Contrary to popular opinion, Perhaps President Ford--who was a very athletic man--could ascribe his ill-timed encounters with power windows and stairways to indecision. I lost time and momentum because of indecision--my own cyber-version of tripping on the stairs.

After all that, I chose Blogger (not the first choice of many blogging pundits). It has worked well for me so far, but I do see myself outgrowing it shortly as I want to take my blog in directions I don't believe Blogger can go. More importantly, I learned and progressed by deciding, moving forward, and just using it.

In the experience I have figured out things I didn't know--and wouldn’t have figured out--before starting to blog. I also figured out I was way too tentative about the decision.

Now, I'm not advocating would-be business bloggers rush out, pick the first blogging tool they can find, and start posting today.

I am saying it's a business decision, so treat it like one.

Get the best information you can find. Talk to people you trust who are in the know. Look at what other companies are doing on their blogs that you like, then chew it all up and make a business decision. If you're taking longer to make this business decision than you normally take, then you're probably over-analyzing it and losing out on an opportunity to grow.

If you still need a little more information before moving on a decision, yesterday's post on Ask Dave Taylor! entitled 'What's the best business blogging tool?' can help you get off the dime. It's a good (albeit somewhat technical in places for most) treatment on the different mainstream blogging tools out there. Dave has been around the block many times, knows a heck of a lot, and offers really good insights here. Take five minutes and read what he has to say.

Or, you could just wait to get your head stuck in a power window or something.

Either way, please let me know what you decide!

4 Comments:

At November 16, 2005 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although my use of a blog is not for business purposes I would agree with what you are saying about starting a blog. When I began law school a good friend showed me his blog and suggested I give it a try myself. I'm not great about updating it, and it's more of a outlet for my frustrations about law school, and life in general, but I've enjoyed playing around with the concept. It has been an interesting process to say the least. The biggest hurdle I faced was simply starting out with it and picking a name for my blog, after that it hasn't been too difficult to use.

 
At November 16, 2005 10:36 PM, Blogger Kip Meacham said...

Beyond the cathartic nature of your posts, do you have any discourse with your readers/subscribers? What kind of community is developing around your blog?

 
At November 16, 2005 11:45 PM, Blogger Kip Meacham said...

DL Byron and Steve Broback over at BlogBusinessSummit have a great post on business blogging today, too.

They point to a recent review by Vinnie Garcia--a Philadelphia-based web developer--called Blog Software Smackdown: The Big 3 Reviewed.

Again, a little technical as it goes, but there's some great structure and some very thought provoking content here for you to consider. Another excellent resource!

 
At November 17, 2005 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a group of friends who make comments on my blog, and I do the same on their blogs. I really don't have a wide audience, but it's been a lot of fun. The community is mainly friends from school who are sharing some of the same experiences at school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.