Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Anal Retentive Blogger--Overworking Content Quality

Can syndication marketing professionals overdo it on the content quality issue? What is the right balance between stuff that's good, and stuff that's timely?


As you know, I've been working to bring podcasts to the RSS Pundit. I've conducted some great interviews, and have them ready to go. It's getting the pre- and post- stuff--the bumper music, the sponsors, and all that--the way I want it. I have a very clear image in my mind of what I want, and I'm struggling with getting there. Fortunately, the holidays will afford me the time to finish this stuff up and get on with delivering the content goods to you.

And while I am focusing on topical podcasts with more shelf-life than the typical 'podfare,' this delay of mine works against one of the key tenets of syndication: freshness.

So, I pose the question:

"How forgiving is the feedosphere of content that makes trade-offs between quality and timeliness?"

While I've spouted off about how syndication technology lets us enjoy having it all three ways (quality, timely, cheaply), poor quality seems to plague syndication marketing content. Even Geoffrey Moore's new blog has typos in it, and he's a New York Times-bestseller kind of guy.

As a producer of content, are you more 'anal' (and after reading the Wikipedia definition I doubt you'll use that term as loosely--no pun intended--as you have in the past) about style or substance?

As a consumer of content, what is your pain threshold here? Is part of the allure the less-homogenized nature of the material we deliver?

I’d like to understand your take on this. Why don't you lie down on that black leather couch of yours and "tell me about your mother?"

5 Comments:

At December 20, 2005 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that there is a balance between freshness and quality of content. However, I expect that podcasts and blogs are no older than 2 weeks old. I also expect there to be a certain amount of grit on the feedosphere. The "work in progress" feel is what makes the interaction organic. Loosen up let the podcast go, if it proves to be as relevant as the Pundit, all will be well.

 
At December 21, 2005 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom is great, but you've known her longer than I have...oh wait, wrong topic.

I'd agree with the previous post, a couple of weeks seems to be a good target. If the issue more general in nature then you may be able to go a little longer than 2 weeks. If the issue is one that has a short "shelf-life" then you may want to shoot for a little shorter timeframe.

I'm interested in hearing what you have come up with for the podcasts. Good luck, and to quote Frazier Crane "I'm listening"

 
At December 22, 2005 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take timeliness over quality ever day. Podcasts aren't meant to be HD, THX or Dolby Digital. Just give me the content. I don't listen to your podcast because of the great intro music.

Just get it out there. Pronto.

 
At January 19, 2008 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At January 19, 2008 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.