Monday, February 20, 2006

When Opposites Attract--Ten Interesting Public Relations Blogs

Public Relations and blogging are an interesting combination that I've written about before... They're going to be living together, so they need to learn to get along. At the request of a PR pro, here's my quick pick list of blogs that can keep you in touch with the combination of the two.


Recently a public relations professional and personal friend asked for my help in providing a "short list" of PR-oriented blogs their firm could use for work with a client developing their blogosphere - PR intersect strategy. I told my friend about the ten I read regularly, and that I think have merit to peruse.

I thought you might be interested in my picks, and in the one sentence summaries I wrote describing each.

1. PR meets the WWW, Constantin Basturea
Very analytical, very wired, very opinionated blogger writing on the PR / WWW intersect. He tends to be almost everywhere there's something about PR.

2. Flackster, Michael O'Connor Clarke
More essay than bloglike, very frequently cited. This is a sort of elitist-bourgeoisie blog, but one to keep your finger on the pulse of (sorry to end with a preposition).

3. Micro Persuasion, Steve Rubel
Stays up on the nexus of technology and public relations, but writes to the PR audience instead of the technology audience. Often updated, highly self-promoting, and he's often quoted in print and broadcast journalism.

4. Blogwrite for CEOs, Debbie Weil
Focuses on CEO blogging and thought leadership. Very worthwhile reading on corporate blog strategy. A personal acquaintance, Debbie's a very bright woman with lots of good stuff to say.

5. PR Squared, Todd Defren
Like Micro Persuasion, only less content, less frequently updated, not so shamelessly self-promoting. Again, this one writes to the PR audience instead of the technology audience.

6. Center for Media and Democracy, Multiple Authors
Kind of the "Greenpeace" for the media... Interesting, often cited.

7. Spinfluencer, Eric Schwartzman
More a "commentary on the news" site, but from a PR perspective. Smart guy.

8. Blog Business Summit, DL Byron, Steve Brobach, Teresa Valdez Klein
Sort of a combination of PR, marketing and syndication. A good one to watch.

9. For Immediate Release, Shel Holtz and Neville Hobson
A podcast that does get some interesting content. It takes some time to listen to them, though. I sort of watch their movement up and down in #10 below to determine if I will listen to the latest. When it's good, it's good.

10. The PR List, Constantin Basturea
This is a good general list to watch from week to week to see who is moving up and down in the PR portion of the blogosphere.

I’d be interested in your picks, and your observations about these sites. Agree or disagree? Comment away.

7 Comments:

At February 21, 2006 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kip, thanks for including my blog in your list! It's always interesting to see how others are seeing my blog :)

Another link that might be interested for people looking for PR blogs is Headlines from PR blogs.

 
At February 21, 2006 8:51 AM, Blogger Kip Meacham said...

My pleasure, Constantin... I'd love to know the top ten sites you track on the topic. Do you use The PR List as your filter?

 
At February 21, 2006 9:57 PM, Blogger michaelo said...

Gosh, I'm...um...honoured. And confused.

Yes, confused but honoured - I think that's the best description.

Utterly honoured to be included in such a great list of worthies.

Just as utterly confused at the "elitist-bourgeoisie" tag.

It's the plummy English accent that's throwing you off, isn't it? That or the pompous headshot at the top of the page...?

Or maybe I really am an elitist-bourgeois, and just never realised it. Makes me feel rather like the Merovingian of the PR blogosphere. Ew.

Um...thanks. I think :-)

/m

 
At February 22, 2006 11:04 AM, Blogger Kip Meacham said...

Again, thanks to Constantin, Todd and Michael for chiming in.

My brief "descriptions" of these ten sites were my quick attempt to characterize the sites relative to each other for my PR friend and colleague. This may explain some of the seeming "wackiness" that generated your comments.

Kip

 
At February 22, 2006 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A belated thanks to you, Kip for mentioning us in your list. We are honored to be included.

Just for the record, Steve's last name is spelled Broback.

On a Utah note, I am a big fan of your fine state. Particularly in the winter when the light is all soft and filtery. I think it's what Heaven must look like.

 
At February 22, 2006 6:14 PM, Blogger Kip Meacham said...

You're welcome, Team BBS!

And sorry, Steve, for the surname typo... My bad.

 
At November 21, 2009 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.